Garden Tool Storage

French cleats bolted to the wall to hang garden tools.  Used 3/4 plywood for the cleats and pallet wood for the tool hangers.  Drying the garlic harvest (above photo)

Bentwood Rings

I made two bentwood rings after watching this Drunken Woodworker video. I don't have a lathe to make a wooden template so I had to think about what I could use instead.  My solution was to use sockets.  I have one of those big socket kits that has every size socket that you'd never use.  I think I've only ever used about five sockets since I got the thing.  I usually spend more time organizing them in the case then using the sockets.  I usually forget to lock the one flap that holds half the sockets in the case then when I go to close the case I dump them out everywhere.  Anyway, turns out I have sockets that fit mine and my Wife's ring sizes.

The light wood is maple (on one...I believe) and the dark wood is of an unknown species, to me anyway.  I ran out of maple as I glued the wood to the socket template one too many times. So the light wood on my Wife's ring might be Birch--I don't know yet.  I'm still learning.  I bought a mixed bag of veneer wood from Lee Valley and the wood wasn't labelled.

Proof the rings were made with love.

The rings were cut from these veneer sheets:
1)                  2) Maple?           3)

Pirate Sailboats

 Made nine sailboats for a child's pirate themed birthday party.  The sailboats were a big hit.  I've since made a tenth sailboat for a guest's sibling (to keep the peace).
3/4" pine cut on the bandsaw and shaped on the disc sander.  Mast is a 3/8 dowel 8" in length set a third, the length (8") of the boat, from the bow.  The sail has a pocket for the dowel and a pipe cleaner sewn to make the boom.  The kids had fun painting their pirate ships.

Book Ends

I made 4 of these pine book ends.  I used the book end template from the Woodworking for mere mortals site (I chose not to make the sides for the pictures).  This was my first project using my new air compressor and nail gun.  To save time I didn't bother to fill the nail holes--the books cover the ends anyway.  Used wood glue and 2" nails (Hey, no clamps were used on this project--score 1 for the nail gun.) I worked the aluminum with a hacksaw and 36 grit on the disc sander.  I used some automotive adhesive to glue the aluminum to the wood.  Used spray glue to glue on the felt on the base.  Finished with spray lacquer.